Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Don't eat the peas

After my 1 mile success 2 days ago and a so-you-think-you're-tough (I may have alluded to thinking I was tough) Physical Therapy session yesterday, today was my first day really pushing myself and my calf to run.














Sister Gwen and I are participating in a track training session once a week with our local running group.  After showing up to say hi, I'm injured, and bye to the coaches last week, I stuck around this week as the only "walk to run"ner.  I ended up running 3 miles.  Huge sigh of relief.  HUGE.  I tried to stay very light on my feet and to not push off very quickly.  No fast accelerating and no jumping.  After 2 1/2 miles, I did feel more tingling, heat, and stretching? tightness? in the right calf. I'm not quite sure how to explain the almost pain; but the main point here is that there was no sharp pain.

Today's run was also my maiden voyage with my new Garmin Forerunner 305:









Buddy approves. Ok, I just wanted to put a picture of Buddy up.

So, here's what I am calling the "Gentle Plan" for the rest of the week:

-Wed.    - 5:45 am Spinning class and a nice long walk with Buddy
-Thurs. - Physical Therapy and potentially a jog afterwards
-Fri.      - 5:45 am Spinning class (it's hard, believe me) and dog walk or jog
-Sat.     - 8:00 am Spinning class followed by some Cinco de Mayo celebrations
-Sun.    - Run! I am aiming for 5-8 miles

And a little bit of advice before I call it a night... Always take time to stretch and ice... and don't eat the peas!  (Let's just say this isn't the first time they've been used)



1 comment:

  1. I'm watching... a new Garmin Forerunner for you, too??!! Buddy is beautiful. Hi Buddy. So are you and Gwen.
    XXXX,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete