Monday, May 9, 2011

A couple more baby steps

A short summary of spinning as a cross-training necessary evil helpful tool:
Spinning has been getting ever slightly more bearable.  The first few classes were torture; the difference between running and biking muscles/ endurance were painfully clear as I gasped for breath and blatantly disobeyed instruction: frequently giving the resistance knob a quarter turn down when the evil instructor called for a quarter turn up.  I am now to the point where I only fake a turn up and don't actually turn down the resistance... so proud. I also have a new-found respect for runners turned tri-athletes.

Yesterday marked the end of the Gentle Plan week.  I completed what I was aiming for (the PT adjusted goal) with my Sunday run: 3 miles at the track.  And I did it in a good time for me: 30:40.  My mile breakout is as follows:

mile 1-   9:38              mile 2- 10:38               mile 3- 10:24

As you can see, I was a little too fast out of the gate and while I tried to keep the pace up, I invariably fell back to a "fast for slow Karen" pace.  I was definitely out of breath at the end of mile 3 though; my endurance has taken a beating. That and I need to get used to running in warmer weather. 

Yesterday after the run, and today as well, my right calf and achilles have been very sore and tender.  I really really wanted to have a good run AND feel good afterwards.  Not to be this week.  I am still happy to be able to run!  But also frustrated at the slow progress of healing.  I would make my mantra "patience" except that it's not so inspiring to chant "patience" over and over again.  Hmm... I'll have to come up with a good recovery mantra this week.

I am calling this week's plan the Push-a-little Plan:
Mon.    -  2-4 mile jog
Tues.   -  track training with MVS running group and Sister Gwen
Wed.   -  spinning in the AM, walk in the PM
Thurs.  -  physical therapy
Fri.      -  spinning in the AM, jog in the PM
Sat.     -   pilates
Sun.    -   5-8 mile jog (pending PT adjustment, but I really need to get over 3 miles at this point!)

3 comments:

  1. since karen never responds to her loyal followers comments, allow me. a PR is Personal Record; so your best time to date. its a very good thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a PR is a personal recor... oh, gwendy already responded...

    ReplyDelete