Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Body Manic

First, a re-cap of the Push-a-little plan week:

Mon - 3 mile jog
Tues - track workout: 5 miles total with 800 intervals, 400 recoveries (A HIGH)
Wed - doggie hike/ rest day
Thurs - PT (THE BIG LOW-bowski, I will splain later)
Fri  - rest day  (A LOW)
Sat - Pilates (A HIGH) and 2 mile jog
Sun - 5k, new PR!! 30:08 (THE BIG HIGH)

My body, and mood, have been all over the place this week.  It started out so well; a couple short runs with only minor soreness and then an encouraging track workout.  The track workout could have ended discouragingly, as I attempted to keep the interval pace with the slowest group of women but ended up falling behind after 3 sets.  I chose to be encouraged though because the pace I could not keep up was a 9 min/ mile pace (and I knew as soon as I saw the 9 that it wouldn't last), plus I ran over 5 miles total... again, with only minor soreness/ pain afterwards.

The manic-ness started on Thursday when my physical therapist got WAY too carried away with an ART (scraping) massage.  His tool of choice was a large spoon and the scraping actually felt okay on my tendon... but then he took on the knots in my calf muscle.  Over and over again.  My whole calf went raw and numb and I should have said something.  But I didn't.  Perhaps my pain tolerance is a bit too high.

Here I will demonstrate how you too can destroy your own calf with a spoon:
Step 1:  Eat a tasty cereal dinner while reading a good book









Step 2: Finish the cereal and lick the spoon till it's nice and clean (don't waste any!)









Step 3:  Have at that naughty calf: the rougher, the better









The big low-bowski has left me with a welt the size of soccer ball on my calf that is slowly turning puke-color.  And it made me miss my Friday run.  And I'm never going back to that therapist again. Hey, saving some money! silver lining.

The big high is my magical PR today at a local 5k.  Perfect running weather: 55 degrees and overcast but no rain.  Small race: about 77 runners.  Beautifully in sync with my body: 30:08!  My mantra was "let your body do what you know it can do".   Now, you'd think after 3 weeks off from any quality or long runs, my body would not be able to set a new record... but the more I paid attention to my breathing, my legs, and my form... the more I felt like my pace was sustainable and my body was strong.  So I went with it.  And I had Sister Gwen to run me in!  I felt so cooool.

Gwen PRed herself AND she won the bronze medal for her age group.  So proud (and happy to have brought the camera).  Go Gwen!


2 comments:

  1. my first blog comment! you did so awesome today kertch! its only going to get better from here!! (did you tell the huzz :) about his missed opportunity?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement! I did tell the Huzz about his shoe-in bronze... I was also thinking that it's too bad we are in the same age group cause you are always going to kick my butt :)

    ReplyDelete