Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The biggest challenge

The biggest challenge is not the marathon (which I have decided I will not be running in Seattle in June... I will run my second ever half marathon instead). 
The biggest challenge is overcoming disappointment and discouragement. 

I have wanted to run a marathon since I first got hooked on running 12 years ago.  I knew someday eventually I would, but it always felt so insurmountable that I never took the first step to get there.  In December, when the Huzz and I signed up for the Seattle RnR marathon at the end of June, it seemed like my dream would finally happen.   When I ran 14 miles in the beginning of April, having hit all my training runs for 3 months on the dot, the dream seemed even closer.  I had run through hip pain, knee pain, the flu, and exhaustion... then I strained my right calf and achilles. Out, just like that.

While there is some comfort in knowing that this happens to a lot of marathon hopefuls (and that some people get even closer before the "out" happens; sometimes in the middle of the race! Ugh!), I would be a liar if I said I wasn't deeply disappointed and even mad at myself.  Ridiculous, I know.  I have cried, just a little, over the frustration... but after taking a week completely off, I picked myself up and threw myself at what I could do: spinning, pilates, yoga, walking, weight lifting.   Everytime I did something, anything!, I felt stronger. I felt more like a fighter and less like a marathon-giver-upper. 

I am now swinging back into some running, gently, and my new goal is a PR in the half marathon.  And the marathon will come.  Potentially in Connecticut in October : )  but it will come.  Because I run on the road long before I dance under the lights... and the key is LONG.  As long as it takes.

1 comment:

  1. You are definitely NOT a giver-upper!! I LOVE YOU! You're my hero(ine).

    ReplyDelete