Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Plans and Preparations

Plan #1: "Try the tri" tomorrow night... which is where I swim 400 yards, bike 10 miles, and run 2 miles.  Gwen is staying with me for the open water swim; remember! reach around under the arms from behind and float on your back gently kicking towards the shore or until help arrives.

Preparation for plan #1 has included lap swimming once to twice a week for about a month and a few bike rides (plus one bike/run brick).

I realize that I will most likely be the last person to finish "try the tri" but I am excited anyways.  And a little nervous.  Some readers of this blog who are also fans of swimming and biking were slightly offended by my last post in which I may have used the term "loath" to describe my feelings towards these two sports.  I would like to amend that statement here and say that I don't loath them; I see them as challenges and I expect that they will grow on me over time.  I'm just not good enough at them yet to call them fun or feel the accomplishment feeling.  In due time...  All good?  ok...

Plan #2: Yankee Homecoming Roadrace 5k on August 2nd... which is where I either melt into the pavement if this particular Tuesday night in August really heats up, or I possibly break 30 mins. for my 5k time. 

Preparation for plan #2 starts next week when the 8 week, Wednesday morning at 6:15 am, special track session for insomniacs gets going.  Nothing like speed work as the sun comes up!  Seriously though, it should be much much cooler.  I've been able to wring out my sports bra after all my runs lately.

Plan #3: The Biggie. Smuttynose Half Marathon on October 2nd... which is where I pretend I didn't cry at the end of the last half marathon and psych myself up for a PR... under 2:30!!  woot woot!!

Preparations for plan #3 include run AND don't get hurt.  KISS (yes, I used KISS)

I'm not sure where I'll go from there.  October should be a good running month but then comes snow.  The goal is to stay active over the winter and come back strong next spring.  Sprinkle in a couple local races as well.  I will have to find a big goal to focus on for early spring so I stay motivated.  It should also be a good chance for me to work on my swimming in the nice warm gym pool!   Just thinking of winter makes me sad though, so, enough of that.

And because blog without pics aren't as fun, I'll leave you with my last half marathon... lest I forget the pain too quickly:














And then the half marathon victors enjoy Seattle afterwards:

1 comment: