Thursday, July 21, 2011

I am a Triathlete Now!

Yes indeed. I did more than try the tri, I finished!!  No. 10 finished a tri!


















More appropriate blog titles could possibly have been "I am barely a triathlete now" or "I am an incredibly slow triathlete now" but I had a talk with myself and I am going to be proud of simply finishing. 

I don't have my official times yet but I will post them when I get them.  Trust me, they won't wow you, I beat out an older man and was on track to beat the 10 year old kid but he passed me on the run.  Did I mention I beat someone?  That's right.  Not last.  No. 10 was not last!

(Unfortunately I was not No. 2... what blogging mischief that could have been!).

Many thanks to the Huzz who not only showed up to cheer but also rummaged through someone's bag and found a camera to take pictures with (ok, my bag).  He would not, however, embrace me immediately after I finished.  It's not like I was covered in a sweaty lake water/ BO mixture or anything. Hurumph : )
I get a little side hug here:
Sister Gwen stuck by me for the 400 yard swim as she promised... all approximately 17 mins. of it.  Pretty sad time and definitely where I need to focus my efforts.  It's safe to say only about half of it was actually freestyle swimming... the other half was breast stroke/ doggie paddling.  I hope I can look back on this someday and be able to say "look how far I've come".  I don't think my tri career will go very far if I can't improve my swimming.  The water was nice and refreshing though:














(My competition is right behind Gwen in the yellow cap... all stealth-like... but to no avail).

Then the super slow transition to biking gear followed by a 10 mile bike ride, which was twice around the lake.














I never caught my breath after the swim and there were only 1 or 2 downhills where I wasn't panting.  Since my total time was about 1 hr 17 mins., I was OUT OF BREATH for over an hour.  The difference between this experience and running for over an hour is that eventually the running becomes less of an aerobic challenge and more of a challenge to keep the leg muscles firing and moving.  During the whole Try the Tri, my body never seemed to catch up before I started a different exercise and shocked it all over again.

The 2 mile run was hard as expected.  I was able to average 10:15 min/miles though without too much pain.  I feel like the biking and running will improve naturally over time and with a little practice.

And finally, finito:














And my favorite picture of Gwen, who was very patient and encouraging during the swim:



No comments:

Post a Comment