Saturday, July 16, 2011

Adding Some Spice

For several reasons (including: sister Gwen influence,  new challenges, and attempting to avoid injury by cross-training), I have started swimming and biking lately.  Just dabbling!  Running, you are my true sport, but I need some time to see other sports for awhile.... on the side...

Of the swimming and biking, it's difficult to decide which I loath more. 
Swimming:  my best freestyle non-stop lap distance is 50 yards.  DO NOT LAUGH.  Perhaps I have genetically small lungs and heart. Perhaps I just need to keep practicing.  The whole correct breathing technique is new to me as of 2 months ago and is what is causing the problems.  I'm strong like horse, I just need more air. 
Biking:  this goes for spinning too... how am I more out of breath than on a jog?  And why does my crotch have to go numb?  I think biking, especially outdoors, has been ingrained in my head as a fun leisurely thing; but that's going to change quickly!

I took my new (used but loved) hybrid bike on an inaugural ride with sister Gwen and BIL Josh yesterday.
Mmmmm.... spandex......













Gwen and Josh (and their shmancy new bikes):













6.5 mile bike ride in 27 mins.  and then... BRICK... followed by a 1.64 run in 16:42.

Gwen and I show how crazy strong we are to be doing bricks:













The running was quite painful for me. 2 immediate sensations are felt on a run after a bike ride.
1: your legs feel like they are still going up and down, not forward, and 2: you feel like you are in slow motion yet somehow completely out of breath AND completely unable to make your up and down legs move forward any faster.

I like bricks though because I do love me my running.  More to come on my anticipated brick improvement! (positive thoughts!)

And then, the (sweat) deluge:

3 comments:

  1. Pardon the ignorance...what is a BRICK?
    And you write really cute...and look nice in your spandex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and you look really tired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brick is a triathlete term. I found a good definition online: "Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout, one after the other with minimal or no interruption in between, just as you would do in a race."

    So running after biking would be a brick... and would make your legs feel like bricks as well!

    ReplyDelete